The Driving Tour of Kent County

MILLINGTON

Millington, just a few miles west of the Delaware border, was founded by the Quaker, Thomas Gilpin. It is believed to have been built on a tract of land called "London Bridge" owned by Daniel Massey in 1794.

Possibly as a result of this association, Millington was originally called "Bridgetown."

 

Its name was changed later to "Head of Chester," because of its relation to the Chester River. When the town finally extended onto farmland owned by Richard Millington, it assumed his name. In Millington, Route 313 becomes Sassafras Street south of its intersection with Route 291.On the left is a grain mill which was built in 1766 where the original millstones and timberwork dating from Colonial times are visible. The bridge offers an excellent view of the Upper Chester River.

After visiting Millington, return to the intersection of Routes 313 and 291, and take 291 westwards towards Chestertown. Route 291 East will take you to the Maryland-Delaware Border and ultimately to the town of Smyrna, Delaware.