LOCAL HISTORIC SITE
KENT COUNTY REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
11183 Browntown Road, Kennedyville, Maryland
September 1, 2009
A public hearing was held today at 9:00 a.m. in the County Commissionersí Hearing Room, County Government Center, Chestertown, Maryland, for the purpose of discussing the application made by Earl E. Johnston, III and Tabatha Johnston to voluntarily designate their property located at 11183 Browntown Road, Kennedyville, MD, as a Local Historic Site and to list the site in the Kent County Register of Historic Places.
County Commissioners Roy Crow, Ronald Fithian, and William Pickrum, were in attendance as well as Susanne Hayman, County Administrator, Gail Owings, Director of Planning, Carla Gerber, Community Planner, and approximately 5 interested persons and two members of the media.
Commissioner Crow read the Notice of Public Hearing into the record.
Carla Gerber, Community Planner stated that the house is already listed within the Maryland Historic Properties and is a rare example of Greek revival styling. In addition, both the Planning Commission and the Historic Preservation Commission have reviewed the application and recommend approval of the application.
Correspondence dated July 14, was received from Elizabeth H. Morris, Chairman, Planning Commission, advising at their June 4 meeting, the vote was a favorable recommendation.
Mr. Johnston stated that the home was built in 1877 on a foundation of a previous structure. His goal is to preserve and restore the home for all to see and to have it remain in his family for many generations.
The Commissioners unanimously approved the application to designate 11183 Browntown Road, Kennedyville, Maryland as a Local Historic Site and to list the property in the Kent County Register of Historic Places.
There were no comments received from the audience.
This hearing was taped for reference and adjourned at 9:05 a.m.
Janice F. Fletcher
Roy W. Crow, President