This 147 acre park, established in September, 1972, is on Turner's Creek, an arm of the Sassafras River, which in turn feeds into the Chesapeake Bay. Explore nature trails, wooded areas, open fields and a waterfront bluff overlooking Turner's Creek.
Fishing Derby on Turner's Creek Pier
It has well over a mile of waterfront, a pier with an excellent public boat
launching ramp into 15 feet of water depth. There is over 100 feet
of bulkhead area. The pier has the last remaining pre-Civil War
granary along the rivers of the Chesapeake. The pier is used by
both pleasure boaters and commercial fishermen.
A large picnic pavillion on Garden Point is surrounded on three sides by water and has a beautiful view of the length of Turner's Creek. The pavillion has barbecue grills, volleyball courts, horseshoe pits and fishing. The pavillion was built on the site of the Donald Yeates house. Yeates was captain of the Kent County Militia during the Revolutionary War.
In addition to picnicing and boating, there are:
- Nature Trails
- An abundance of waterfowl and wildlife in the area
- A soil conservation demonstration area
- An historic tree forest with trees from many historic locations in American history
- The Kent County Farm Museum, which houses antique and historic agricultural machinery and other artifacts of rural life. It is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 AM to 4 PM May through October,
- Early houses:
- The Lathim House, built around 1700 or earlier
Knocks Folly and Fort Before Fire
Picture courtesy of Austin Walmsley
- Knock's Folly house, which is under the State curatorship program
- An old log fort adjacent to Knock's Folly which was converted into a house in the 18th century. Unfortunately the old fort building burned during the restoration process in 1977 but has subsequently been rebuilt. Gun ports and bullet holes were clearly visible before the fire.
- Restroom facilities in the Lathim House.
There is a large parking area near the pier and pavilion. The latter is the favorite site for county church, farm and commercial groups to have picnics. The pavilion has also been the location of several marriage ceremonies.Turner's Creek picnic area and pavilion are available for group rentals. For fee information, click here.
Call 778-1948 for more information.
The Sassafras River Natural Resource Management
Area is adjacent to Turner's Creek Park and is open to the public.
How Do You Get There?
Turner's Creek Park is approximately 12 miles north of Chestertown, Md and some 3 miles north of Kennedyville on Maryland route 448 (Turner's Creek Road).
For a map of the area, click here.
History of Turner's Creek Park Area
According to Stanley Sutton, who was director of the Parks and Recreation Department in 1971 and was instrumental in accomplishing its acquisition, John Smith is thought to have met with the Tockwogh Indians there in early August, 1608 on his voyage of exploration of the bay.
The land was first granted to Francis Child in 1671 and was called Child's Harbour. It appears on the Augustine Herrman map of 1673 as "Turnys". It was used as a "port of entry" and a "port of export" for the north end of the county to and from Europe and ports on the east coast. John Lathim later acquired the property, which once had a ship building establishment, a tannery, a store and several houses. The property went into the Weathered family holdings in 1827 by marriage to a Lathim granddaughter and was continually owned by the Weathereds and Barrolls until it was acquired by Huntingfield Corporation in 1969. A private source contributed the county's portion of the acquisition cost to trigger off matching grants from the state and federal government in 1972.
Subsequent to its acquisition as a park, the Donald Yeates house on Garden Point, which was beyond repair, was razed and the picnic pavilion built on the same site. The Lathim house was converted into comfort and restroom facilities, the boat launching ramp was improved and the 12 acres which included Knock's Folly house and the old fort were acquired and integrated into the park. A soil conservation demonstration area was established, an historic tree forest was planted and the Kent Museum was created.