The Kent County Numbering Ordinance states that the new address number shall be displayed within one (1) year from the date the notification of the new address is mailed to the owner. For any premise numbered later or for which a building permit is issued, the number shall be displayed prior to the date when construction begins.
The Kent County Planning Commission should include a check for displayed numbers in its inspection procedures for new construction.
The following are guidelines for displaying numbers. These guidelines may be refined by the Kent County Emergency Management Agency and the Addressing Committee:
1. The number shall be displayed in a location visible from the road upon which the address number is assigned.
2. Numbers should always be placed on both sides of the mailbox (except cluster boxes, where the number may be placed on the front of the box). However, displaying the number on the mailbox may not be all that is necessary under some circumstances. If any of the facts listed below exist, then the number must also be displayed as described in #3 and/or #4 below;
3. Numbers may be placed on the house, but only if they are readily visible from the road (within 50 feet) and the view of the numbers is not blocked by trees or shrubs.
4. Numbers may be placed on a private sign or post at the entrance to the driveway, at a height of 3 to 4 feet.
5. Numbers should be at least three (3) inches high (except on the front of cluster mailboxes).
6. Numbers should be plain block numerals, not script or written numbers.
7. Numbers should be set on a background of contrasting color, preferably black on white. Reflective numbers are desirable.
Do not place numbers on utility poles, County road sign posts, or anywhere within the road right-of-way
(except on mailboxes).
If the occupant receives mail at a Post Office Box, then his/her mailing address will not change. However, he/she must still post the new address number on the property so that it can be located by emergency vehicles.
The Kent-Queen Anne's Rescue Squad can provide homeowners with a reflective address marker for a donation of $10.00. For more information, please call 410-778-4495 or click here to download an order form.