Guidelines for posting house numbers
Kent County’s house numbering system is intended to provide automatic location for enhanced 911 services, and to provide a better system for the delivery of emergency services, the delivery of mail and goods, and other private and public purposes. In order for this to work, house numbers must be clearly posted, even if you receive your mail at a Post Office Box.
- Display numbers in a location visible from the road upon which the address number is assigned.
- Place numbers on both sides of the mailbox unless on cluster mailboxes where the number is placed on the front.
- When the mailbox is on the opposite side of the road from the home, when the property does not have a mailbox, or when the home or building that goes with the mailbox is not clearly identified, then the number should be displayed on the house if readily visible or on a sign or post at the entrance to the driveway.
- Place numbers on the house only when readily visible from the road (within 50 feet)and the view is not blocked by trees or shrubs.
- Private signs or posts that display house numbers at the entrance to driveways should be at a height of at least 3 to 4 feet.
- Numbers should be at least 3 inches high.
- Numbers should be plain block numerals on a background of contrasting color, preferably black on white.
- Do not place numbers on utility poles, County sign posts or within the road right of way.
- When a property is on a private lane within more than one residence, display numbers at the end of the lane and at the driveway to the home.
- If you live in Chestertown, Rock Hall, Betterton, Milllington, or Galena, contact your town office about guidelines for displaying numbers.
Failure to clearly display your house number may result in delayed emergency services and are subject to a fine of $10000 each and every day the violation continues.
If you have any questions or need assistance in displaying the house numbers, please do not hesitate to contact the Kent County Department of Planning and Zoning at 410-778-7423 or email@example.com