Kent County Museums

Click on the museum icon for additional information or web site. Tolchester Rock Hall Museum Waterman's Museum Geddes-Piper Kent Museum

Kent Museum
13689 Turner’s Creek Road
Kennedyville, MD 21645
410-348-5239

Kent Museum was organized in the 1960’s to preserve Kent County’s rural heritage. Local farming families have donated agricultural equipment and household items from the past.

Geddes-Piper House
Historical Society of Kent County
101 Church Alley
Chestertown, MD 21620
410-778-3499

This beautifully restored 1783 merchant's home is a definite first stop for visitors to Chestertown and Kent County. The museum provides an overview of three and a half centuries of Kent County history, set against a backdrop of beautifully restored and furnished period rooms.  The site offers an introduction to early Chesapeake settlement; the region as a center of Colonial economy and culture; 19th century transitions in agriculture and technology; and the Civil War and slavery.  Local history and genealogical research library on site.  Staff and volunteers will help you with directions and suggestions for your visit. Tues-Fri: 10-4; Sats, May-Oct: 1-4; library: Wed-Fri: 10-3.  www.kentcountyhistory.org

Waterman's Museum
20880 Rock Hall Ave
Rock Hall, MD 21661
410 -778-6697

the museum includes exhibits on oystering, crabbing, and fishing. A reproduction of a shanty house is on display, along with historical photographs, local carvings, and of course, boats.

Tolchester Beach Revisited
Main Street
Rock Hall, MD 21661
410-778-5347
Visit this jewel of a monument to a rapidly fading bygone era.

The Rock Hall Museum
Municipal Building
South Main Street
Rock Hall, MD 21661

Artifacts from a changing bayside town on Maryland's Eastern Shore with emphasis on community lifestyle, economy and traditions.

Massey Air Museum, Inc.
33541 Maryland Line Road
Massey, Maryland 21650

The Massey Air Museum is a living airport-museum reminiscent of rural airports of a bygone-era. Experience the sights, sounds, and smells of aviation as it was in its earlier days!

African American Schoolhouse Museum
Route 297 extended, St. James-Newtown Road, next to St. George's U.M. Church in Worton Point.
Worton, Maryland
410-810-1416

Hours: by appointment
This one-room schoolhouse, built in 1890, is a showplace of 19th & early 20th century photographs, oral histories and artifacts of the lives and contributions of Kent County's African American community.

Charles Sumner G.A.R. Hall
206 S. Queen Street
Chestertown, Maryland 21620
410-778-3222

Hours: At this time, only exterior is available for viewing. Civil War Trail marker is also available for viewing.
The Charles Sumner building is one of only two African American Civil War veterans' halls standing in the United States. In 1908, a group of veterans, most of them former slaves who fought in the U.S. Colored Troops, built this two-story hall where regular meetings were held. Now owned by Preservation, Inc., a local non-profit, it has been stabilized by funds from the National Trust, MD Historic Trust and many other organizations and individuals. Plans are underway for a complete restoration.

Cliffs Schoolhouse
Route 289, Quaker Neck Road, south of Pomona toward Cliff City
Cliff City, Maryland
410-778-2133
Hours: by appointment

Cliffs Schoolhouse is an architectural landmark that served a farming and fishing community in rural Kent County, and has survived for over 125 years. Lesson plans, for the seven grades taught in the one room, are written on the blackboards by the last teacher. It is well equipped with many of its original furnishings. Restoration and preservation of Cliffs is the current project of Port of Chester Questers, with assistance from the Retired Teachers Association.


Betterton Heritage Museum
100 Main Street
Betterton, Maryland
410-348-2343

The Betterton Heritage Museum is located in the Betterton Community Hall, which was originally the Precious Blood Catholic Church. The museum houses pictures of earlier times in Betterton, old postcards, a collection of beautiful decoys hand carved b Charles "speed" Joiner and assorted memorabilia. The Betterton Ark is located immediately outside the building spring through fall. The museum is open Saturday and Sunday 12 noon—3:00pm, and by appointment.