Rock Hall was
originally called "Rock Hall Cross Roads." Its main street was part of the first road cut in Kent County in 1675. Later, the village
became the Kent County terminus of a ferry that ran between the Eastern
Shore and Annapolis in colonial times; and both George Washington and
Thomas Jefferson passed through it several times on their way to and from
the Continental Congress in Philadelphia. While it still retains
some vestiges of its former stature as a major fishing port, today it
is probably better known for its many marinas and its fine seafood restaurants.
There is more detail, as well as directions for traveling around the Rock
Hall area in the map and text below.