Cliff's Schoolhouse

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

 

 

 

Cliffs Schoolhouse

Cliff's Schoolhouse

Route 289 Quaker Neck Road
8 - 1/2 miles southeast of Chestertown bearing left on Rt. 289 at the Pomona intersection toward Cliff City.
410-778-2529
Open 3rd Saturdays, May – October, 1pm to 4pm

 

Cliffs Schoolhouse is the last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Kent County. It was erected in 1878 to serve a watermen's and farming community and was so used until 1939. The building has been preserved in its original condition and is well equipped with many of its original furnishings.

Restoration and preservation of the schoolhouse is a current project of the Port of Chester Questers, with assistance from the Retired Teachers Association and is overseen by Preservation Inc. The Port of Chester Questers and the Retired School Teachers are available to open the schoolhouse to visiting tour groups and school groups during the school year and for summer school programs. For information, or to make arrangements, call Mrs. Carol Cordes at 410 778-9173 or Mrs. Jean Foreman at 410 778-3098.

Visiting students playing outside of the schoolhouse
visiting school groups
The Questers and Retired Teachers enjoy showing visiting school groups what school was like in bygone days.
Adult visitors enjoy reading the class lessons

Adult visitors enjoy reading the class lessons, for seven grades, written on the blackboards by the last teacher. They like to see if they know the answers that were expected of sixth, and seventh graders of the time.

equipped with many of it's original furnishings

The school is well equipped with many of it's original furnishings; plus many items such as schoolbooks, maps. slates and other period items which have been donated.