The Town of Millington was originally chartered as a town by the Maryland General Assembly in 1798. The town was incorporated in 1890. Millington grew up as a small village located on the Chester River, sharing shores with both Kent and Queen Anne's County. The land on which it is located was settled in the late 17th century. Over the years, the name of the town has changed - originating as Head of Chester, to Bridgetown around 1724, and finally in 1818 to become known as the Town of Millington.
Today, Millington is still a small town with strong echoes from the past. Millington is a walkable, self-contained town with a clear rural character and atmosphere. The head of the Chester River runs through the Town of Millington, offering beautiful water views and lovely public fishing areas with perch spawning in the spring, and catfish, spot, sunfish, yellow perch and the occasional striped bass throughout the remainder of the season.