Building Permit Requirements
The Department of Planning, Housing and Zoning is open, and we are able to process your permit and project submissions. Please review our updated interim procedures for submittals while the County Government Center at 400 High Street is open for limited access by appointment only.
What is Needed To Apply For A Permit?
To obtain a permit for building a new dwelling, the following items must be submitted:
- Application form
- Two sets of construction plans (Three sets are required for additions and renovations)
- Site plan drawn scale of 1" = 40', a sample site plan is available at the Planning Office
- Any applicable fees. For the Planning and Zoning fee schedule, click here. Health Department, sediment control and stormwater fees may also be required.
What Building Codes are Used?
- 2018 IRC - March 25, 2019
- NFPA 70 National Electrical Code Handbook 2017
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code 2018
- 2018 IECC International Energy Conservation Code - March 25, 2019
- 2012 National Standard Plumbing Code
- 2018 IBC - March 25, 2019
- NFPA 1 Fire Code 2018
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
Where Do I Submit These Items?
The application and attachments should be submitted to:
Kent County Department of Planning & Zoning
County Government Center
400 High Street
Chestertown, Maryland 21620
If you have any questions, please call the Planning and Zoning Department at (410) 778-7423 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday or fax at 410-810-2932.