Kent County Government - Water and Wastewater Services


Frequently Asked Questions

[Q], What are the Billing Cycles and when do you mail out the bills?
The Department of Water & Wastewater Services billing cycles are: 1st quarter July to September, 2nd quarter October to December, 3rd quarter January to March, 4th quarter April to June.

The Department of Water & Wastewater Services mails out the quarterly bills by the 1st week of Oct., January, April, and July. If you have not received your bill by then you should call the Office ( 410-778-3287) to avoid having to pay a penalty.

[Q], Please explain what the SW, WA BASE, and WA CONSUMPTION charges mean on my bill?
SW = sewer - this is the base charge for the operation and maintenance of the sewer services in your district.
WA BASE = water - this is the base charge for the operation and maintenance of the water services in your district.
WA CONSUMPTION = the additional water used above your maximum allowable in your district.

[Q], Why am I charged for water and/or sewer if I have no buildings and are not using either service?
If you are paying a "VACANT LOT CHARGE", this means your property has the availability to connect to the water and/or sewer line(s) in your area without having to pay an allocation fee.

[Q], How do I know if a property is serviced by water and/or sewer?

The best thing to do is to complete an Allocation Inquiry form and email it to If no email is available to you, you may call the office at 410-778-3287. You will need the 911 number, if there is a house on the property, the state Tax ID number, or the tax map and parcel number.

[Q], Who do I call to get a perc test?
For perc testing, please call the Environmental Health Department @ 410-778-1361.

[Q], I can't afford to pay my whole bill. Can I pay installments?
We are more than happy to arrange payment plans with our customers provided that you contact our office and adhere to the arrangements agreed to.

[Q], What are your office hours?
8 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays.

[Q], Where are you located?
709 Morgnec Road, Chestertown - on the second floor of the Public Works Complex, an elevator is available. Morgnec Road is Rt. 291, and we are on the right hand side if you are headed east from Chestertown towards Dover, Del., just past David A. Bramble's.

[Q], Do we have a "Night Drop Box"?

[Q], Can I give my payment to one of your service crew members?
No! For security and safety we don't allow our crews to accept payments.

[Q], Do we accept credit cards?
No! We accept cash, check, or money orders but we don't accept credit or debit cards.

[Q], Who is responsible for payment of the water and/or sewer charges, the tenant or property owner?
The property owner is ultimately responsible for payment. The water and/or sewer charges are a lien on the property and can be sold at tax sale if not paid. This is why the Department of Water & Wastewater Services mails the quarterly bills to the property owner.

[Q], What happens if I don't pay my bill on time?

If your bill is not paid within 30 days of the bills being issued a 5%  penalty is assessed to your account.  If the bill remains unpaid longer than 2 quarters the property is subject to tax sale.

[Q], Why is my water bill so high this quarter?
You may have just had higher than normal usage, or you might have a leak! If you have reason to believe that your usage should not have been any higher, then you should have your property evaluated for a possible leak. You should also check for a drippy faucet or running toilet either one of these situations can cause your usage to increase thousands of gallons of water over a short period of time and cause a very high water bill.

[Q], Who is responsible for repairs to my water and sewer lines?
The County's responsibility ends at the water meter and/or property line, in the districts where there is gravity sewers, where we have grinder pump, typically, the county's maintenance ends at the grinder pump. The county maintains the water meter and the street side connection, the house side connection and line to the house is the property owners responsibility. Therefore, you would need to call your plumber for these repairs.

[Q], What steps must I follow to obtain a sewer and/or water allocation for my property?
First you need to submit a letter to our office stating what your plans are for the property. They would be reviewed and either approved or denied with a letter sent back to you explaining the next steps. If approved, you must complete a Public Works Agreement and pay the allocation fee(s). Then you should have your plumber contact our office to fill out the necessary paperwork and pay the $50 application/inspection fee. Also at this time the plumber may want to coordinate with our office in case there are any line extensions necessary and to determine what equipment needs to be purchased for hook up and connection to our facilities. Finally your plumber would need to contact our office to schedule an inspection 48 hours prior to completion of the installation.

[Q], What should I do in order to hook up services already on my property?
First, you or your plumber should visit our office to complete a application for a water and/or sewer connection permit and receive information to help your hook up run smoothly. You need to contact our office 48 hours in advance to schedule an inspection.

[Q], Are there any programs available to help pay water and sewer bills?

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a new program providing benefits for water and wastewater costs for low-income households experiencing hardship with their water bills.

If you are having trouble affording your water/wastewater bill, you do not need a turn-off notice to qualify for assistance. The Office of Home Energy Programs strongly encourages you to apply for assistance before you receive a turn-off notice so that funds can be applied to your account as soon as possible. All OHEP program eligibility is income-based and you do not need a turn-off notice to qualify for assistance.

Download and print the water assistance application. You can also request a paper application from your local Energy Assistance or Local Department of Social Services office or by calling 1-800-332-6347.