Economic and Tourism Development Commission
(Term 3 years - 7 members)
|Sandy Scott, 12/31/22||Aaron Bramble, Chair, 12/31/23|
|Richard Story, Vice Chair, 03/31/22||Suzanne Einstein, 12/31/22|
|Robert Thompson, 03/31/22||Chikki Shajwani, 3/30/22|
|Tracey Williams, 05/31/22|
Robert N. Jacob, Jr., Commissioner Liaison
Reimbursement for Expenses - $30.00 Chairman; - $25.00 Members
Chapter 21 - Local Laws
§ 21-1. Director.
The County Commissioners of Kent County may appoint a Director of Economic and Tourism Development who shall serve at the pleasure of the County Commissioners and receive such compensation as may be from time to time determined by the County Commissioners.
§ 21-2. Establishment of an Economic and Tourism Development Commission.
There shall be an Economic and Tourism Development Commission. The members of the Commission shall be appointed by the County Commissioners of Kent County and set forth in this chapter.
§ 21-3. Composition and compensation of Commission.
- The Commission shall consist of at least seven and no more than nine members, excluding the Director, who shall serve as a non-voting ex officio member. The Commission should be comprised of members that represent the economy of Kent County.
- The members of the Commission shall serve without compensation but shall be reimbursed for such expenses incurred in the performance of their duties as may be approved by the County Commissioners.
§ 21-4. Terms.
- Commission members shall serve for terms of three years, or until a successor is appointed. Members may not be appointed for more than two successive full terms. (filling a vacant position during the term shall not be construed as a full term)
- If a member is currently serving on the Economic Development Commission or Tourism Development Advisory Board, that member may finish their term as a member of the Economic and Tourism Development Commission. If that member is serving in their first term, that member may be reappointed for a second term.
- A member may be recommended by the Commission to the County Commissioners for removal. A member missing three consecutive meetings may be recommended for removal.
§ 21-5. Officers.
- At the first meeting of the Economic and Tourism Development Commission, and each year thereafter, at the first meeting of the calendar year, the members of the Commission shall elect from their members a Chairperson, and such other officers as they deem necessary.
§ 21-6. Meetings.
The Commission shall hold such regular meetings as necessary to discharge its duties.
§ 21-7. Duties of Commission.
- Support and assist the Director in the performance of his or her duties.
- Meet with the County Commissioners annually, and as requested, to review and evaluate economic policies and issues.
- Recommend proposed policies and legislation to the Director to promote a healthy business climate.
- Promote cooperation between County departments, municipal and state governments.
- Provide an annual review of the County economic development strategic plan.
- Assist the Director with the retention, expansion, and attraction of businesses in the County.
- Assist the director with dissemination of information in the interest of economic and tourism development.
- As needed, attend public meetings regarding local and regional economic and tourism development.
- Assist the Director to ensure local businesses are aware of any local, state, and federal government funding sources (loans and grants) for business growth and retention.
- Perform and/or support other duties as requested by the County Commissioners or the Director.
§ 21-8. Subcommittees
The Commission may establish Sub-Committees at its discretion to further the mission of the Commission.
§ 21-9. Nature of Commission
The powers and duties of the Director and the Commission are of an advisory nature only. Neither the Director, the Commission, nor any member thereof shall incur any obligations in the name of the county.
ECONOMIC AND TOURISM DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION
Wednesday, January 12, 2022
Citizens may participate by telephone conference:
Dial 1-872-239-8359 and enter Conference ID 700 703 42#
Please mute your phone until the Commission Chair opens the floor for comment.
The meeting will be live-streamed and can be viewed at
- Cultivate Business Retention, Expansion, and Attraction
- Advocate for Workforce Development and Education
- Promote Kent County as a Desirable Place to Live, Work, and Visit
- Support the Enhancement of Current and Future Infrastructure
- Establish and Strengthen Partnerships
3:00 p.m. Call to Order
3:02 Approve Meeting Minutes
December 8, 2021
3:05 Bill Mackey, Director, Planning, Housing, and Zoning
3:15 Director Update
3:25 Tourism Manager Update
3:35 Economic Development Manager Update
3:45 Unfinished Business
2022 Economic and Tourism Development Strategic Plan Review
4:45 New Business
4:50 Public Comments & Announcements
(Meetings are conducted in Open Session unless otherwise indicated. All or part of The Commission’s meetings can be held in Closed Session under the authority of the MD Open Meetings Act. Meetings are subject to audio and video recordings. There may be times when one or more Kent County Commissioners are present.)
For Economic Development Commission minutes before June 2021, please visit https://www.kentcounty.com/committees/econdev
For Tourism Development Advisory Board minutes before June 2021, please visit https://www.kentcounty.com/committees/tourism
The Economic & Tourism Development Commission meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the Month at 3:00 p.m. in The Kent County Commissioners' Hearing Room unless otherwise advertised.