Kent County, Local Licensing Authority
Alcoholic Beverage License Application New Applicant Guide
This guide is provided for reference only. It is at the discretion of the Board of License Commissioners and its designated staff to determine if additional documentation or explanation is required.
The Board of License Commissioners follows the Annotated Code of Maryland, Alcoholic Beverages - Division 1: General Provisions, and Division II: Provisions Affecting Individual Jurisdictions. Licenses shall be applied for and issued to, as individuals: the partners, officers, or authorized individuals of a business entity, as applicable, and at least one applicant shall meet the requirements to be considered as a qualifier on the alcoholic beverage license.
What is a Kent County Qualifier?
A (the) Kent County Qualifier(s) must be a resident of Kent County at the time of the filing of the application and remain a resident for the duration of the time the license is in effect. Legal documentation is required that demonstrates the Qualifier(s) financial interest in the business entity. The term financial interest encompasses a broad variety of interests such as ownership or stock interest in the business entity.
Applicants are required to meet and/or contact the following departments or partner agencies:
- To review the application process, contact the Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco Inspector at 410-810-2212
- To review applicable regulations and permits, contact the Kent County Department of Planning, Housing, and Zoning at 410-778-7423. (If the business is located within an incorporated town, please contact the appropriate municipal staff.)
- To register a business and trade name, contact the Department of Assessment and Taxation at 410-767-1184
- To complete the combined registration application for a Sales and Use Tax License, contact the Office of the Comptroller at 410-260-7980
- To obtain a food service license, contact the Kent County Health Department, Environmental Health Division at 410-778-1361
- To obtain a business/trader’s license, contact the Kent County Circuit Court Clerk at 410-778-7460
- To obtain or verify Occupancy Load / Use and Occupancy, contact The Office of the State Fire Marshall, Upper Eastern Regional Office at 410-822-7609
- Check the Type of License desired
- Fill in all fields
- Provide the required information for (each) applicant(s).
- Answer all questions and attach Articles of Organization or Articles of Incorporation
Page 3 through page 6
- Each Applicant (up to four) must fill out an Applicant Page
- Signature(s) must be notarized
Pages 7 and 8
- Obtain signatures (certificates) from citizens that are real estate owners and registered voters in the District and Precinct in which the business will be located.
- One signature per household, submit no less than 10 signatures.
- Page 9 must be signed by the owner of the property who has the authority to sign the statement.
- Signatures must be witnessed and notarized.
- Sketch of the premises. Submit a sketch that specifies where alcoholic beverages will be sold, served, and stored.
- This sketch can be drawn directly onto page 10 or attached to page 10.
Pages 11 and 12
- Fingerprinting. The applicant(s) must complete the LiveScan Pre-Registration Application. Applicants will be notified when fingerprinting can be scheduled.
Return the completed application with payment of the following fees:
- Call for Quote Advertising Fee, check or money order payable to Chesapeake Publishing
- $100.00 Application Fee, check or money order payable to the County Commissioners of Kent County
- $50.00 Fingerprinting Fee per applicant, check or money order payable to the County Commissioners of Kent County
Applicants are notified of the hearing date and time. It is strongly recommended that at least one applicant attend the hearing.
Prior to the Public Hearing for a new alcoholic beverage license, The Inspector will verify the following:
- Notification from Kent County Health Department, Approval/Comment
- Notification from Comptroller of Maryland, Report that Entity is in Good Standing
- Notification from Comptroller of Maryland, assignment of a Central Registration Number
- Notification from Kent County Clerk of Court, Business/Traders License Issued
- Verification that Alcohol Awareness Training Requirements are satisfied
And if applicable:
- Receipt of any comments from the incorporated town
- Receipt Bulk Transfer Certificate
- Application review by the County Department of Planning, Housing, and Zoning (if changes to the property are being made).
Applicants are encouraged to meet or contact the Department of Economic & Tourism Development to be added to the Business Directory, to learn about tax credits, to be added to Tourism literature, or for other business tools and support. Please contact 410-778-0416 or email@example.com