Tourism Development
Starting a Business (Economic Development)
Planning, Housing, and Zoning

County Business License (Traders License) Information
Many business licenses may be obtained from the Clerks of the Circuit Court. If you are considering opening a business in Kent County, please contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office at (410) 778-7460 to determine whether you need to obtain a business license. Unless you are a grower or manufacturer, you may not offer for sale, sell or otherwise dispose of any goods within Maryland, without first obtaining a trader's license from the Clerk of the Circuit Court and opening a sales tax account. Business entities must register and qualify with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. The license year runs from May 1st through the following April 30th. The legal requirement for the trader's license can be found in the Business Regulation Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland, Section 17-1804.

Food Service License
Kent County Health Department, Environmental Health Division The Environmental Health section of the Kent County Health Department is primarily a regulatory agency that enforces delegated programs and services from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the Maryland Department of the Environment, Kent County and its incorporated towns. The Kent County Health Department issues all Food Service Facility Licenses pursuant to the Annotated Code of Maryland Health-General.



Office of the State Fire Marshal
Occupancy Load / Use and Occupancy
Upper Eastern Regional Office
301 Bay Street – Lower Level
Easton, MD 21601
Phone: 410-822-7609

 Comptroller of Maryland

Industry Frequently Asked Questions about Alcohol Products

Alcoholic Beverage Retail Licenses

Below is a link to an Interactive Alcoholic Beverages Retail Licenses Database Query. To perform as search, see the left-hand side is categorized as Field: County and please use the drop-down option to select Kent, then select for Page Size: Show 100 per page, and then click search.

Maryland Alcohol Licensing Association

The Maryland Alcohol Licensing Association is an organization comprised of Liquor Board members, Administrators, Alcohol Inspectors, Alcohol Enforcement Officers, Officials from the Office of the State Comptroller, and Attorneys for Licensing Boards. We are dedicated to the training and education of Maryland citizens, business owners, and visitors in the various statewide and county laws, as they relate to alcoholic beverages in the state of Maryland.

Permitted Use - please contact Planning, Housing, and Zoning concerning applicable regulations and permits. If you are located within an incorporated town, please contact the respective Town Manager or Zoning Administrator.


Kent Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement -  Inspector's Office
Bonnie S. Pearsall, Inspector
PH: 443-282-5785  | FAX: 410-778-7482 | Email:
400 High Street, Chestertown MD 21620