Kent County Agricultural Preservation Advisory Board
(Term 5 years - 5 members)
|David Hill - Chair, 12/31/25||Ernest "Tot" Strong, 07/31/24|
|Davidson Coleman, 07/31/24||Tyler Gale, 07/31/25|
Bradley Morris, 7/31/25
Date indicates expiration of term.
County Commissioners’ Hearing Room
400 High Street
February 21, 2023
Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings in person or via conference call. Please note that the County’s live stream video is temporarily unavailable.
Public participation and audio-only call-in number:
- Dial 1-872-239-8359
- Enter Conference ID: 398 991 91#
Members of the public are asked to mute their phones/devices, until the Chair opens the floor for comment.
Minutes – June 23, 2022
Ag Preservation District Applications – Recommendation to County Commissioners
Recertification Report – Recommendation to County Commissioners
Meetings are conducted in Open Session unless otherwise indicated. Meetings are subject to audio and video recordings. Other business without assigned times may be discussed during the course of this meeting as time allows.
Article - Agriculture, Section 2.504.1 of the Annotated Code of Maryland
Appointment of board
(a) In each county containing productive agricultural land, the county governing body shall appoint an agricultural preservation advisory board.
(b)(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, the agricultural preservation advisory board shall consist of five members, at least three of whom shall be owner-operators of commercial farms who earn 50 percent or more of their income from farming.
(2) In Worcester County, the agricultural preservation advisory board shall consist of seven members, at least four of whom shall be owner-operators of commercial farms who earn 50 percent or more of their income from farming.
(3) In St. Mary's County, the agricultural preservation advisory board shall consist of five members, at least three of whom shall be actively pursuing the production of agricultural products for profit.
(c)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, each member of an agricultural preservation advisory board shall be appointed for a term of office of five years.
(2) In Charles County and in Worcester County, a member shall serve a term of office of 4 years.
(3) No member shall serve for more than two consecutive full terms.
(4) Appointment to fill a vacancy shall be for the remainder of the unexpired term.
Duties of board
(d) Duties of each agricultural preservation advisory board shall be:
(1) To advise the county governing body with respect to the approval of purchases of easements by the Foundation within the county;
(2) To assist the county governing body in reviewing the status of land under easement;
(3) To advise the Foundation concerning county priorities for agricultural preservation;
(4) To approve or disapprove an application by the county for certification or recertification under § 5-408 of the State Finance and Procurement Article;
(5) To promote preservation of agriculture within the county by offering information and assistance to farmers with respect to the purchase of easements;
(6) To meet at least annually with forest conservation district boards in order to work cooperatively to encourage the promotion and retention of farmland and woodland in their respective jurisdictions; and
(7) To perform any other duties as assigned by the county governing body.